On New Years Eve, Stephen and I wanted to make our first New Years special so we stayed home. Before he even woke up in the morning I decided to do something my Dad used to do for me that I always got really excited about and loved! I made a menu! (My Dad was a chef, He loved to cook and did that most his life). I made a breakfast menu of all of the options he had for Breakfast. Had him circle what he wanted and I made just that. He had a big smile on his face doing it.. He said he enjoyed it. I know I sure loved having my Dad come in to my bed room and acting like a waiter with his little apron on and hand towel over his arm with order taking note pad in his hand. That is such a great memory of my Dad.
Later in the afternoon we headed to the Commissary (grocery store here on post) and got some stuff for dinner and snacks! I got the idea to make pizzas but we decided we didn't want to make them from scratch because we were looking forward to Katt Williams show when we get home, so we got a plain frozen cheese pizza and I chopped up some green peppers, onions, and olives!! Actually very good. Had a bubble bath, drank margaritas and Shirley Temples (virgin for me of course) and watched two live Katt Willams shows. Boy, that man is funny!!
We had our midnight kiss and had the idea of waking up early New Years day to celebrate New Years in America too! We watched the ball drop on TV and had the Mid night kiss then too even though it was 9am where we are. but hey, we can now say we celebrated New Years in two countries.. sorta.
|Last picture together in 2010|
It was all going good for the first little bit.. dip onion in batter, put in fryer then put on plate once is done then the oil started splattering and started getting really hot and started burning the onions as soon as they went in.. I told Steve to turn the stove down. We kept on making the rings and eventually black smoke started coming out of the pan, so we took the onions out and was trying to figure out what was causing it to smoke. Thought it was starting to go away so we started up the onion making process again and more black smoke was coming out and it was A LOT!!! I had a feeling we needed to start opening windows and fast because the fire alarm would go off soon and sure enough, as I was saying that, the fire alarm started ringing!! We live in an apartment complex on post so when someone sets off the fire alarm, the whole building starts ringing and the fire department is automatically called.
So there we were, windows open and the house was still full of black smoke to the point it was hard to see through. We had turned the stove off at this point and Steve was walking around yelling at me wanting to know what to do with the pan full of hot oil and I started panicking trying to yell at him over the screaming sirens to tell him to dump it out in the sink, as he did, it sounded like the oil was ruining the sink.. there was such a loud noise coming from the sink, I could hear it over the sirens.. As he was dumping it out there was even MORE black smoke coming from it!! Then the fire department was at our door and the whole complex tenants was out in the street (like we are all instructed when the fire alarm goes off) waiting for the OK to go back to their homes. Steve explained it was a cooking disaster and there was no fire and everything was OK to the fire crew and MP (Military Police) that showed up, the house cleared of the black smoke, and we vowed to NEVER make homemade onion rings again!
That is such a great newlywed memory and now every time we go by the onion rings in the frozen isle one of us always says to the other "mmm onion rings.. we should make some homemade ones"!! We laugh now and love to tell the story but back at the time, it just wasn't funny!