Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oh, Crickets!

I just had to share this because I never want to forget it. It was a very big milestone for Tubbles.

Before I tell you the story, I want to share with you something I learned from when I was going to school for Veterinary Technology. I learned a bit about animal behavior which is something that really interests me. When cats bring you (their owner) a dead rodent or bug they have caught and killed and place it in front of you, it is a gift and them showing you they love you, appreciate you and of course want you to know how great of a hunter they are (and actually expect you to gobble it up right there). They do it in such a way that appears to be a distinct gesture of giving. Tubbles has never done this (maybe since she has been an indoor cat her whole life) but with that in mind, here is our sweet little memory..

Since it has gotten to be a bit colder outside as the seasons are changing, we have noticed that there are a few more bugs that are getting inside. I rarely let Tubbles out on the balcony anymore because I just can not stand the bugs and I am very afraid of spiders. Well even with my precautions, there are these Crickets that are somehow getting inside the house. I try and trap them the best I can and free them outside.

One night as Steve and I were lounging around the house watching TV and what not, I noticed Tubbles was acting a bit suspicious and was playing by the bathroom door which is around the corner from the living room so I really couldn't see what exactly she was doing. The next thing I know, she was walking in to the living room meowing loudly and had something in her mouth.. A CRICKET! She dropped it in front of us and just sat there looking at us meowing, making sure we saw it. I wanted to cringe but I knew exactly what that meant and I was just so happy, I almost cried. She is so sweet, I sat on the floor with her and made sure she knew how much I appreciated her gesture.. But I felt bad for the Cricket.

Our little expert hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment