Friday, August 19, 2011

Acid Reflux

I have Acid Reflux. I went to the doctors for bad stomach pains when Steve was deployed and was told that it was Acid. She just told me to start taking Tums whenever I have the pain and actually it works. It is a horrible pain and with Tums, it goes away so fast.
  Well, I haven't told anyone besides Steve, but I have been having PCVs. Its where my Heart has been fluttering and skips a beat. I thought it was nothing at first and ignored it, and now 5 months later since it has started, it happens every day every hour. It even has pain to it now and last longer.. some times it feels like my heart stops altogether but finally starts bounding and can't slow down. I had Steve feel my pulse as it has its "episode" and you can actually feel my heart/pulse stop. Its very scary.
  Wednesday, at our monthly FRG Meeting (Family Readiness Group), my heart was fluttering constantly and having a hard time getting back to normal. I felt like I was going to pass out and I knew I had to get to the doctors. So the next day, I called the Army clinic on post and asked to get a "urgent appointment" (appointments that are same day and don't need an actual appointment with your regular doctor) but with my symptoms, they told me to just go to the Nurse's station. So I did just that.
  I had an EKG done on my Heart.

They said what was going on had nothing to do with my Heart and that I had the healthiest Heart they had ever seen. It is, in fact, my Acid Reflux getting worse and acid has been shooting up my  Esophagus causing it to be very weak and is now spasming.  The Nurse said the Acid reflux is the problem and hurting my Esophagus and that I need to be on something a little more constant for it besides Tums. So I take medicine twice a day to keep the Acid out of my Esophagus. My heart was having PCVs because of my Esophagus spasming and so my Heart was reacting to it. That is my scary story! I have another appointment next week to see how the medication is working and to see if my heart has been fluttering anymore. I have had one "episode" that was so mild, I almost didn't feel it. I feel so much better even though there is a lot I can't eat now, such as caffeine and acidic foods. Today has been really rough without Caffeine. I usually take Exenadrine in the mornings before I work out but I can't do that anymore since its pretty much all caffeine. I think I am going through "withdrawal" from it since I have been taking it for so long. I have a horrible headache. But I got to make changes for my Health.

Food Group Foods With Little Potential to Cause Heartburn
Fruit • Apple, fresh
• Apple, dried
• Apple juice
• Banana
Vegetables • Baked potato
• Broccoli
• Cabbage
• Carrots
• Green beans
• Peas
Meat • Ground beef, extra-lean
• Steak, London Broil
• Chicken breast, skinless
• Egg whites
• Egg substitute
• Fish, no added fat
Dairy • Cheese, feta or goat
• Cream cheese, fat-free
• Sour cream, fat-free
• Soy cheese, low-fat
Grains • Bread, mult-grain or white
• Cereal, bran or oatmeal
• Corn bread
• Graham crakers
• Pretzels
• Rice, brown or white
• Rice cakes
Beverages • Mineral water
Fats / Oils • Salad dressing, low-fat
Sweets / Desserts • Cookie, fat-free
• Jelly beans
• Red licorice
• Potato chips, baked

Food Group Foods To Avoid
Fruit • Orange juice
• Lemon
• Lemonade
• Grapefruit juice
• Cranberry juice
• Tomato
Vegetables • French fries
• Onion, raw
Meat • Ground beef, chuck
• Marbled sirloin
• Chicken nuggets
• Buffalo wings
Dairy • Sour cream
• Milk shake
• Ice cream
• Cottage cheese, regular
Grains • Macaroni and cheese
• Spaghetti with sauce
Beverages • Liquor
• Wine
• Coffee, decaffeinated or regular
• Tea, decaffeinated or regular
Fats / Oils • Salad dressing, creamy
• Salad dressing, oil & vinegar
Sweets / Desserts • Butter cookie, high-fat
• Brownie
• Chocolate
• Doughnut
• Corn chips
• Potato chips, regular

No comments:

Post a Comment