Thursday, May 10, 2012

A new lifestyle

It has been really hard to of been thrown in to American civilian life from the Military lifestyle in Germany. We really are experiencing America for the first time as Adults. We entered our adult years while in Germany. This is our first apartment that we have had in America, ever. We are still navigating these things called "bills" and "finances". As a wife, I am having a hard time trying to keep track of what bill needs to be paid when and how I pay it, and in what form it needs to be paid in and so on. Any of you other women have tips on how to keep track of everything? I then got the idea of making a "family binder" where I keep the bills, grocery lists, passwords, reminders, ect. So far, the binder has been working out great. Since we are just moving in to a new place and signing up for everything at once, of course we have all these "first bills" with "start up" fees coming our way as well. Cell phones, Electricity, Internet, deposit for our apartment, ect .. the list goes on. Its a bit over whelming especially since we have our other bills as well. But once those first bills are paid, they all will be down to a reasonable price.
  I have made a calendar for the next months so we can put our appointments and things we need to remember on it so we are kept updated with each other. Why spend money on a calendar when you can make your own, right?
  Our apartment here is much smaller then the one on post in Germany. We had a two bedroom there and here we only have a one bedroom because its all so expensive. Our apartment complex has the largest floor plan in the New Castle DE area and its still much smaller. I have no idea where we are going to put everything. I know we are going to sell a lot of it at the farmers market here.
  The unpacking process has really been a drag. I have not had the energy to do anything after my workouts in the morning. If I am going to start working soon, I really need to figure out what my body needs to have energy during the day while still losing weight. I think I might need to up my calorie intake from 1200 to 1500 a day. I even took a nap today from being so exhausted and I never take naps. What is going on with me?!
   We still haven't got the car back from Germany. Actually, it is here in country but now we are just waiting to get our drivers licenses back. Both of our licenses expired when we were in Germany and we could not renew it over seas. So we send in the forms to have Military status be put on them. Last we heard was that they were both approved and they were sent to us in the mail. We should be getting them in the next few days.

Here are a few updated photos of the last few weeks. Enjoy.
Tubbles would always lay on Steve's Army gear when he has it out right before a long field training like she knew he was leaving. Well he had it out today and she went right for it. If only she knew he is never going to leave her again ♥

Trying on his pack. Think he is missing the Army a little?

My cousin, Anna on Easter. (Nicole's daughter)

love this Housewives shirt.

Hubby carrying my bags for me at the mall. Such a wonderful husband.

Tubbles admiring herself in the mirror.

Another peak at herself.

Funny closed sign I found at the Hot Dog stand outside of Home Depot.

The two loves of my life.

Amish rice cakes and spreads. The Amish community makes such yummy foods. This was at the Farmers Market.

Inside the Farmers Market.
sleeping on my shoe

I see a tongue

"I want to work out too, Mommy"

In a PetCo bag

Scary spider web right outside of the apartment complex

About to go for a run. Love his new toe shoes.

Wondering what she should make for lunch

Tubbles and her hat.
Went to the Cheesecake factory for the first time!

Yummy East Coast spinach and cheese dip

Dinner. SO good.

Of course we had to try the famous Cheesecake.

1 comment:

  1. Your bills binder is a great way to keep yourself organized. I use the google calendar on my smart phone. I can set it up to remind me a few days before the bills are due and the calendar is accessible from anywhere since it syncs up to my local calendars (computer, phone, internet).
    Moving does suck whether its into civilian life or another place in the military life. But to cheer you up a bit, what you are experiencing is normal for anyone experiencing adulthood in the States. Many military families (like myself) choose to live off post when stationed somewhere in the States which means we have mortgage/rent payments, utilities, and if you do own a home, lots of other expenses that having an apartment doesn't have. When living overseas you are overexposed to military life because its the only part of American life over their. Being here in US soil, there is so much more out there besides the military installation. I don't even really go on post but maybe once every two or three weeks. You will miss Germany of course, its a beautiful country. Even I miss it, but being in the US is a good change (just looks at your pictures...malls, dining, etc) =)

    ReplyDelete