Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Freezer Cooking

Being in my seventh month of pregnancy, trying to keep up with it all has not been the easiest task. Cooking meals every night has been a drag when I don't feel well or am dog tired. I recently learned about freezer cooking and got pretty excited to do it. I know I will want to do this for when baby boy comes so I wont be in the kitchen slaving away days after delivery. I was so excited to start and thought it would be fun to record how it goes.

I read so many different blogs who all had different methods of freezer cooking planning and prep, so I got the basic idea from them and did my own spin on things. So this is how I did it.

1) Decide what we will eat for the next month. Planned it all out in my meal planner and then looked up recipes for dinners I didn't have a clue on how to make, made recipe cards for them, and set aside all recipe cards that will be added in to this months freezer cooking day.

2) Make a list of all the foods I will need and how much for each to buy.

3) Go through coupons and store ads to see what savings I can get for Shopping day. Spent seven hours shopping just to get all the deals by going multiple stores.

4) Cooking Day! Do all the prep first. Cut up all veggies and things to measure out for each meal later. Saves so much time then doing each prep before the meal. This way you can relax while you wait for pots and pans to become available.

By the end of the day, my feet and back were killing me. And I was still trying to get all the dishes done by the end of the next day. But meals are done and I only really have to worry about breakfast and lunch for the next month. Dinners always take the longest and keep me on my feet since I cook from scratch (most of the time) so its so nice to just thaw and reheat nutritious meals instead of just going for takeout when I don't feel up to cooking. I think I could get used to cooking dinners once a month. I also made waffles and froze them so breakfast can be on the fly too for those busy mornings.

What I made:
Peppered Shrimp Alfredo Sauce (just mix with whole grain Penne noodles and garlic bread)
Spinach Lasagna
Corn and Potato Chowder
Teriyaki Chicken
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
Vegetable Chili
Chicken noodle soup
Frozen Waffles
..and a few other things that I can't remember since I this is last months meals and I am just now getting around to blogging. Thanks preggie brain.

Sort of late on taking a photo so a lot has already been eaten but here is whats left. Its almost time for another day of cooking.



No comments:

Post a Comment