Sunday, May 12, 2013

Traditional gender roles

 Whenever I was given the option to do a reading plan in regard to the scriptures, I always shied away from it because I wanted to read the Bible cover to cover. Well that has changed with this wonderful app I wanted to share with you. The name of it (Holy Bible) pretty much covers what its all about but it has this cool feature of reading plans. They have devotionals, topics, etc. Steve and I started a 5 day Love and Marriage reading plan to learn more about what Jesus wants from us and our roles in the marriage.
Every morning we sit, eat, read the provided scriptures, talk about it, and then pray. Its a wonderful way to start the day. Its been only two days and it really seems like we have gotten closer since starting it. We are going to make devotionals a morning routine now. We want to make Jesus apart of our every day life in everything we do more then we already do now and having a daily devotional is a great start. I take my role as a biblical women very seriously and I just love studying His word.
I believe and know to be true that if you are going to follow Jesus Christ, you have actual live it and make him the center of everything you do. You can't cherry pick what to believe in the Bible and decide to ignore certain teachings.

Jesus is Lord! "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" --Mat 6:33

Since I have started this wonderful journey with our Heavenly Father, our lives have become less complicated. I really do believe that life without Christ is really hard and I know from experience. I have not always been faithful in striving to be a women of God on a daily basis. I grew up in the Mormon church and strayed as I became a reckless teenager. I am so glad to have Him back in my life as the center of my everything. 
Although, just if your curious, I have not returned to the Mormon church. My husband and I actually did explore Mormonism as well as polygamy. We wanted to learn why today's society is against polygamy when its so common in the Bible. I watched many documentary on Mormonism and learned the only reason why the LDS church banned it is because they wanted to be right with the law which was against it but Mormons themselves say that the Church had a revelation that the need to practice polygamy was no longer required on this Earth to get to the highest heaven. So now there is the LDS and FLDS (fundamental LDS).
The Lord did not have us continue in exploring that path and now are more interesting in the Baptist church for teachings.

 In the last two readings of our devotionals I have learned so much. The topic of gender roles, and the roles God gave men and women in marriage, came up when we read these scriptures:


"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body" --Ephesians 5:22-23


But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.--1 Corinthians 11:3

In today's society, the term submission does not sit well with people. I love this video I found on Time Warp Wife best in attempt show that submission is not what society thinks it means. There is no domination and I, as a wife, do have a voice. Its about love and knowing he has your best interest at heart. Darlene Schacht (the women in this video) is also an author of the book The Good Wife's Guide: embracing your role as a help meet. I am just dying to get my paws on this book. There are so many good books on the kindle app written by women that have my same values that are more experienced and I wish I could read them all.

I have always believed in traditional gender roles. My dream was [and is] to stay home and raise children, please my husband with a clean home and nutritious meal on the table waiting for him at night. My love for animals did have me pursue a career in that for awhile when I went to college to become a Vet Tech but in the end, I am not working outside the home and enjoying being a Homemaker. The Lord put me right back where I need to be.
I can't speak for my husband but we have talked and this is what he feels is right in his heart as well; me staying home and hopefully one day being a stay at home Mommy but that will be on God's timing.  I dream of my day being filled with homeschooling, cleaning, cooking wholesome meals, Bible study.. ahh, I look forward to the day I enter Motherhood. 
We have read the scriptures together surrounding a women's role and we do believe and trust that this is what the Lord wants from me. We do believe that Man is above the wife and although I do have a say in matters, he does hold authority and has the final say in it. 
We thank God for Jesus because without him, we wouldn't have the Bible to guide us in life. It has the answers people seek all the way down to how the Lord in Heaven wants us to dress. Its amazing. Each time I read the Bible, I learn something new and I change a little bit more. Jesus is changing my life and outlook on it and its just amazing! I dress more modestly [Timothy 2:9], be kind to everyone I meet [Ephesians 4:32], and work to be the best wife I can be to my wonderful hardworking husband [Proverbs 31].
God has a plan for all of us and the more I let him in to my heart and follow his word, the more fulfilled my life gets! I believe that my role God has given me is being Steve's helpmeet (yes, helpmeet). I have been called to stay home and lead a biblical homemaking life. Its so much more then making sure the house is cleaned and the laundry is done. It is important to God, Steve and I and it hurts when you are considered a second class citizen by your peers because I am not climbing the corporate latter. And just to think it wasn't so long ago that all women stayed home before the Equal Rights Amendment was approved.


To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.--Titus 2:5


A great website I learned about that I also wanted to share with those who share my views is youngwifesguide.com. I love this site. Its full of tips and topics regarding young wives for gospel centered homemaking. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment