Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving/Black Friday

This was Bunkers and Gunyrs first Thanksgiving. Of course, they got a big helping of all you can eat organic turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and whatever else they decided they wanted from the feast. I decided to try a few new recipes and made some amazing pumpkin cheesecake, apple pie, and a new version of crock pot mac and cheese. I have really gotten in to being the best Homemaker I can and making our meals from scratch, and as organic as possible, have definitely become more of a priority. I have a vision of the type of Mom and wife I want to be and slowly working towards that so this first Thanksgiving where not everything came from a package or box was such an experience and made our feast so much more enjoyable.
Can you believe this is our last holiday season where we wont be surrounded by family.. our last of just us, our little family. Six more months until we are back on the west coast.

After dinner, we started our Black Friday shopping. I seriously had way too much fun if that's possible. I have have been looking forward to black Friday for YEARS! Sure, we were back in the States for last years Black Friday but since Steve had to work, we couldn't go. So this year was the first year I have been able to participate since 2008. Crazy! I was 18 back then and I don't think I even cared for it much so this really is my first Black Friday.

I searched the web all week looking for ad leaks and deals. Then got and scoured the Thanksgiving day paper which had all the Black Friday ads. I even made a list and game plan to how we would do it and where we would go, in which order, and who would get what. Yep, had way too much fun. I loved the craziness of it all and how insane people got. Being pregnant, of course, my poor husband was on over protective mode of anyone who got too close. It was sweet but he was a nervous wreck but didn't want to ruin my fun because he knew how excited I was.

We went to Walmart, Joann Fabrics, AC Moore, Petco, Micheals, and Macys.

We pretty much got a steal on canning jars from AC Moore. Then got a new Pressure Canner from Macys for nearly half off. I can't wait to start canning our fruits and veggies. Such a cheaper alternative to buying overpriced organic canned fruits and veggies from Whole Foods.
From Joann's, we got some fabric at 75% off. Um, STEAL! Sure we had to wait an hour or so to get it cut but we literately paid $10 for $40 worth of merchandise. I also got some super cheap patterns and book on making my own cloth diapers with a pattern. I knew I wanted to cloth diaper but Steve got me into wanting to make my own.. oh boy, what have I got myself into?

A few photos from our day!

The Turkey

Helping make the pie

Man of the house carving the bird

"...Can I have it yet?"

Cart full of jars! I am ready to can!

Craziness at Walmart! Had to snap a photo.
As per tradition, after we got home from Black Friday shopping, we set up our Christmas tree and stockings. I also made Gunyr's Christmas stocking. I did a lot better then last year when I made Tubbles' and Bunker's stockings. I think I have definitely improved my skills in the last year. I will post photos of our beautiful tree and stockings soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment